Monday, January 28, 2008

Adventures in Dryer Shopping

So I got online to dryer shop, since I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of repairing the old one and then have something else break a short time later, as this thing came used with the house and we've been here four years already. I found one pretty cheap at Home Depot, so Saturday we went to check it out. We decided to buy it and found out it'd be after February before they could deliver it to us. Then they said we could buy one at the store and rent a truck from them and take it home ourselves. We opted for that, seeing how we were running low on underwear. Then when we finally got the dryer to the counter to rent the truck, they told us the truck was in the shop. I'm standing there, irritated beyond belief, trying very hard not to roll my eyes. It can't be easy. You just can't walk into a store, find what you want, buy it and actually get it home in one day. I went ahead and paid for it and had them hold it for me, being the optimist of the family, I figured someone would loan us a truck. Ben was pissed, of course. He can't stand paying for something and not having it in his possession, but not having voiced his concerns at the time of purchase (he was, after all, standing right there when I whipped out the debit card), I had no way of knowing that. So Ben's griping about paying for something we can't get home and I'm getting irritated because to me it's no big deal. I told him to ask the neighbor if he could borrow his truck, but Ben didn't want to because he thinks the neighbor will hate him or something because he only goes over there when he needs a favor, etc. To make a long story short, he finally slunk out of the house when I wasn't looking and went over there and came back meekly with the key to the neighbor's truck. I gave him a kiss and sent him off for the dryer.

After we had the old dryer on the curb and the new one in place we cranked it up for a test run. And it wouldn't start. Then Ben thought for a moment asked me if I flipped the breaker after the old dryer sparked up and died.

Do what now?

Okay, so flipping the breaker magically made the new dryer work and we looked at each other, neither of us daring to ask the all important question: was the old dryer really dead. Then I insisted, "There were sparks! I saw them!"

We went outside and carried the old dryer from the curb down to the basement. For just in case.

2 comments:

Sals said...

THat is soooo funny....so have you dared to try the old one to see if it works????? yeah maybe you shouldn't do that!!!haaaa

ALYN said...

We once sold a dryer that worked perfectly fine when we unplugged it, but apparently it didn't work at that ladies house!

We also had a "washer" and a "spinner" in our basement in Missouri for awhile. The washer was weak at spinning. And the spinner didn't hold water. So, Washer, Spinner, then Dryer. Adding another step to my nemesis of a laundry problem.