Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Party and a Little Productivity

Last Saturday we postponed Henry's birthday party because of the snow. I guess we could've had the party anyway, since the snow was pretty much melted by the afternoon. Oh, well. We had the party this morning, instead. I got a late start on planning the party last week, so I didn't bother with invitations, but just invited Henry's friends via email or the phone. I didn't really pay attention to the actual number of kids coming until I started making treat bags. Not all the kids could make it, but the ones that did made it a real fun party for Henry. There were eleven kids running all over the place, but I thought it was fun. They mostly played in Henry's room, but I got them organized long enough for them to play pin the tail on the donkey. Our neighbors came with their son, which was nice because Ben and I got to have some grown-up conversation with them, and they were a big help with lunch, passing out food and drinks. At the table the kids improvised the Happy Birthday song. I thought it was cute.



After the kids got all sugared up and sent home to their parents, another of our neighbors came over and helped us take care of that fallen tree. I stood in awe while he hopped right up into the beech tree and fearlessly climbed up to the branch that needed to be cut. Ben got out the ladder and climbed up to pass him the chainsaw. Pretty soon the dead tree was down and chopped up enough so that Ben and I could put the fence back up. Now all we've got to do is get the rest of the tree chopped up and moved.

Now I feel completely justified in being a lazy slob for the rest of the weekend.

1 comment:

ALYN said...

Now that was a fun song, and a fun birthday. Most kids would love to have nearly a dozen friends over! Wow! And congrats on the tree removal.