Monday, June 15, 2009

The Woes of Power Outage

Yesterday while I was enjoying a Sunday afternoon nap, the power went out. I might have slept through the whole episode but for the fact that a neighbor called to see if we still had electricity at our place. Henry and I chatted about why he couldn't open the fridge door while the power was out, why he couldn't leave the front door open, etc., and we went down a list of all the things in the house that don't work without electricity. Henry was happy to know that his legos still work without power, as did his walkie-talkies, but then thought for a millisecond.

"My games use power!"

He got all teary and sad and I quickly reminded him that the power was only going to be out for a little while, not forever. Then he was okay again. After that Ben took Henry for a ride around the neighborhood and I went back to sleep. Sunday afternoon naps are essential to my sanity, after all.

Of course, the power was back on by the time they got back, and Henry parked himself in front of the TV for a cathartic viewing of Loony Tunes.

No comments: