Thursday, February 26, 2009

One More Reason to Feel Older

Yesterday I took Henry over to the neighborhood school and got him registered for Kindergarten. He was very excited and, though I corrected him repeatedly, was mistakenly under the impression that I was going to drop him off. He was very chatty with the office staff and made sure everyone knew he was five and had gotten walkie talkies for his birthday. Part of the registration process was signing a contract that I would be a part of his education, i.e., read to him a certain amount of time every day, etc. There was also a line committing the kid to working hard, behaving, and all that. I had Henry sign that line, mostly as a joke to myself, reminiscing about my own early academic career. When I was done with the paperwork I told Henry it was time to go. He was so disappointed about not staying the whole day that he started crying, the poor little guy. After that we went to the "dragon" park where he got to play with a friend from down the street and one from his Sunday school class. What a fun day for Henry, aside from not actually starting school that day. Plus I got a laugh watching Henry run around like Dilbert in his highwater black pants with white socks and black sneakers.

This morning I gave Henry a hair cut. He did pretty good, didn't twist around and fidget too much, but I did nick the back of his neck with the clippers. He didn't notice though. Of almost ten years of cutting Ben's hair with them, and four for Henry, the blades are getting dull. I think it's time to replace the clippers, or at least find out how to sharpen or replace the blades. I still haven't gotten much better a cutting hair, mainly because Mr. Impatient and Son are always harping at me to hurry up and finish. Oh well.

Is Henry excited about going to school this fall? Oh yeah.

2 comments:

a said...

Such a great milestone, kindergarten, it's good he is so excited, hope it stays that way. Good luck! Now people will ask you nonstop, what are you going to do with yourself now that you have no kids at home? Sleep, eat, be merry...duh.

Keep-N-Touch said...

Henry is SO cute! I have tried to cut my girl's hair a couple of times and have decided I need to stop. I will be taking them to the salon from now on!