Friday, February 6, 2009

Money and Being Sneaky

Yesterday Henry got some birthday money from Grandma Ruby and Papa Tilley: a check (which Ben put in Henry's college account) and a dollar bill. Henry was very excited about the dollar. He's been sitting on a few dollars in his train bank for a while now, asking me from time to time to spend it on a Lego set. Well, with the acquisition of the dollar bill, he finally had enough to actually get something. So last night Henry and I went over to the Target to learn a valuable lesson about money. I had to pick up birthday gifts for my dad and my niece Zejda, so I figured it'd be enough of a distraction with Henry buying his Legos that I could sneak in his birthday gift as well. Feigning heat stroke, I took my coat off and laid it over the shopping cart and then when Henry wasn't looking, I chucked a Lego set under my coat. Yes, I do realize this is how some people shop lift. But I was birthday shopping. In front of the birthday boy. At the register Henry busted out his wallet and I helped him count out the money. He was more interested in the Lego set than paying for it; in the ecstasy of the moment he would've handed out all his cash and left his wallet behind, to boot. Then I said, "Henry look at that!" and while Henry was looking away I had the cashier quickly scan and bag the Legos. I felt so awesome. I know I could have easily purchased his gift after he went to bed that night, but this meant I could stay home and be lazy. Also, I kind liked the risk factor, and being sneaky, which is usually more Henry's forte.

Now I just have to go back and exchange the gift I bought for Zejda, who I found out last night is just like me, except instead of G.I. Joe really likes animals. So bye bye pink ballerina Barbie!

3 comments:

NOBODY said...

HA! She's a relative of yours, and you bought her a pink ballerina Barbie?

I did the sneaky purchase once, and DUDE, WHAT A RUSH! You are right. It's fun. Although, at first, I wasn't thinking and went to go stick the item in my coat pocket. I caught myself at the last minute. That would have been embarrassing.

ALYN said...

When Madi was 3, I thought I'd successfully purchased a "Dr. Kit" without her realizing it.

2 days late she asks me: "Mom, who was that Dr. Kit for?"

Once I made Madi and Lia pull winter hats over their faces while I checked out of Target!

Analiese said...

Gee, that just sounds so cloak and dagger. i wish i could be that sneaky! i would forget and get busted by the cameras and then sent to jail. ha ha.