OK, so we finally got started on the horrendously hideous master bath. A leaking toilet is almost never anyone's idea of a blessing, yet it was mine in this case, because I was able to convince Ben to let me redo the floor before we put a new wax seal on the bottom of the toilet. I've been wanting to tile the floor ever since we moved in back in 2002. But Ben has been doing his best to thwart any and all attempts at home improvement. Whenever I mention that something needs fixing or that I'd like to replace a floor or that I hate the ugly vinyl flooring in the bathrooms or that the kitchen is in every way an abomination, Ben's eyes glaze over. Well, this time I won, or rather Ben saw things my way. My awesome parents came by Saturday while my awesome mother-in-law watched Henry and we got to work. The toilet removal was kind of gross, but it was very satisfying ripping up the old flooring. Bye bye ugly fake yellow tile. Dad got us off in the right direction and we got the floor prepped Saturday, the tile laid Monday, and today we grouted. Ben discovered that sometime between last night and this afternoon the threshold thingy (forgot what you call it), had been bumped somehow so it was slightly crooked. I was ticked for a few minutes. Stupid dumb luck. Oh, well. I got over it. Sometime in the near future we have to do the tile trim and paint while the toilet is out of the way. An old piece of wallpaper behind the toilet makes me try to imagine the house when it was new and I wonder how people walked into the bathroom without vomiting from the visual assault of indescribably incompatible decor styles. I can't say that I know of anyone who would ever think that green, blue and gold striped wallpaper went well with a yellow floor. Even I don't have that bad of taste.
Today Henry and I went for a play date with a friend of mine. I was her trainer when we were missionaries at Temple Square and we became good friends. When I came home from the mission I figured I'd never see her again, but then through some happy coincidence she now lives fifteen minutes away and our kids really like each other, so all the more reason to hang out. We were there pretty much all day, had lunch, went swimming, then Henry cut his head open on the banister. Kyna was impressed by my calm handling of the situation, but I told her it was nothing compared to his Old Navy head wound. Then it was time to leave and Henry was not happy. So we rode home in our hot un-airconditioned car and I helped Ben grout the bathroom floor. Fixing the a.c. in the car would be nice, but I better focus on one project at a time...
5 comments:
that is so awesome you and kyna are still friends and living so close to each other. who would have thought! tell her HI from me. she used to be my companion, too!
great job on the tiles!
HEY! So glad you have a mission friend close by to play with. How fun! I don't know if I know who Kyna is.. I know I was there a while before you were.
Guess what???? I am friend's with Kyna's sister Tya here in Plano. Small world!!!!!
I love remodeling! We also had the gold linoleum in the bathroom, so I know your pain.
Hello Henry!
I love you and am SO proud of you!!!! Graduating, swimming, before you know it, you will be on a football team!!!!!
I look forward to our next visit!!!!
All my love ~
Ne-Ne
Post a Comment