This was the first Christmas in a long time that I didn't hear any pleas for Legos. In fact there was hardly any nagging at all. This year Henry decided that he wanted a Wii for Christmas. Ben and I were hoping that we could skip a generation of gaming consoles and wait for the next new thing to come out, but Henry has friends who have Wiis, got a taste of the good life and decided he liked it. He wrote a letter to Santa indicating that he'd been good and that he wanted a Wii and a Wii game. Much like the kid in the Christmas Story movie, Henry knew that talking face to face with Santa Claus would seal the deal. He finally got his chance at the church Christmas party. I didn't get to hear the whole conversation, and I know Santa didn't make any promises, but he did assure Henry that he knew Henry had been a good boy. That was all it took. Henry's faith was cemented; he knew he was getting a Wii for Christmas.
Christmas morning Ben and I stayed in bed, listening for Henry's descent into the living room. There was no shouts of joy or exclamations of surprise. Henry came quietly into our room and announced (much in the same way one announces the sun has risen), "I got my Wii." The red one like he wanted, and 2 Wii games.
I have to say I was surprised by his calm demeanor, but it was really awesome to witness Henry realizing that there can be an assurance of hope and faith rewarded. I already knew that, though. I have Ben and Henry.
And it snowed on the 26th. Quite a bit for our neck of the woods, and for once it was the good kind of snow you can actually do stuff with. So we had our walk through a rare winter wonderland to the park and then went home and made a snow man.
Henry samples snow:

And Frosty:
2 comments:
Frosty has mean eyebrows! : ) Glad your Christmas went well.
i think the next time we get a decent snow frosty'd going to have a mountain man beard.
Post a Comment