Thursday, December 2, 2010

Some More Shoddy Workmanship

Yesterday I was free, so I went over to Meemaw and Peepaw's and helped Peepaw put a new door on his pool shed. Peepaw was fond of the old door, but finally conceded that once there was sufficient rot on the door such that the hinges irreparably fell off, it was time for a new one. He put one together with a frugality that puts Ben to shame, consisting of the thinest, cheapest plywood available, strengthened by a border of one by twos. When I got there the new door was already constructed painted, but unfortunately, due to the agedness of the shed, which lists slightly to the left, it was slightly too big for the aperture. So, with my trusty skill saw and its not quite sharp blade, I sawed off some of the door. It still wouldn't fit, so Peepaw suggested sawing off part of the siding above the door frame. So I got a chair and worked the saw. Eventually, we made things work. Of course, once the last screws for the hinges were in and the door in a functional state, Peepaw noticed that we'd put it on upside down-- not that he cared in the least. Oh well. It ain't pretty, but it's the same color as the shed and it opens and shuts, so it's all good. Especially since he decided that the old "Welcome to our OOL" sign didn't have to go on the new door.


1 comment:

Briarpatch said...

Funny! You are a great writer! And it's not easy to beat that Tilley frugality! I guess he gets it from every direction!