The Monday before last Henry had another teacher work day, so we hopped in the car and went to visit Maggie. It was a nice sunny day, and Henry asked questions and chatted with me the entire hour and a half drive. At Maggie's he entertained Wesley, and between the both of them it took less than five minutes to collapse a tent and randomly distribute all the toys in Wesley's room throughout the house. For lunch we went to visit Mom at work. Since she works at a doctor's office, Maggie took the opportunity to tease Henry and told him he was going to get a shot, but he called her on it, reminding her that I told him last year that he didn't have to get any more shots for a long time. We went out to eat and then went back to Maggie's where Henry and Wesley recommenced play/destruction of the tent. Meanwhile, Maggie and I perused Netflix movies looking for something that we could both agree on watching. That went on for about an hour or so. It reminded me very much about trips to Blockbuster back in the day, wandering the store for an hour while we tried to find something to rent. Now we can waste time looking in the comfort of home, although we were at the time wedged together in a single arm chair because she couldn't get the wireless to work on her laptop and had it plugged into her internet thingy with a five foot cord. Dad came over after a little while and we showed him some free dogs on Craigslist. Then Henry and I had to leave so we could get home in time for dinner. The drive back was a lot quieter because Henry fell asleep. I could see him in the rear-view mirror, his head slumped over onto his shoulder, so peaceful. While we were crossing the bridge over Jordan Lake it was right at that golden time before sunset and I saw myriads of white birds circling out over the blue water. It was beautiful but I let Henry sleep through it.
This past Friday a winter storm came through, snow first, followed by sleet. Everything was white in the morning and Henry was very excited. After breakfast we all went out for a walk through the lightly falling sleet to the "dragon" park. Ben took some nice photos on the way.

The greenway, not so green:

A tree psyched out by the warm weather before the snow:

And a little fun:
After the snow it actually decided to stay cold for a change. All the secondary roads stayed covered in compacted sleet. That meant Henry got to miss three days of school this week. This morning the schools were open again, but on a one hour delay. You better believe I was excited to get Henry on the bus.
There was another teacher workday scheduled for next Monday, but because of the snow all the kids have to go in and make up their missed day. Oh, well. It'll be a while before Henry and I get to play again on a weekday.
2 comments:
Wow! You're a Mormon too?! I didn't realize that. I know you probably don't know who I am, and are wondering, "Who's this weirdo?" Sorry. My identity is a secret. So just call me the Looney Writer, or Looney. You blog first attracted my attention when I saw that you like UHF too. Weird Al is one of my favorite song writers. Have you heard 'Slime Creatures From Outer Space"? It's one of my favorites.
We have LOVED the snow!! Hope we get to meet Henry sometime. He sounds like a lot of fun! :)
Post a Comment