First off, the holidays were crazy busy. Last minute shopping, figuring out the schedule, making the Christmas '09 tour, dealing with both Ben and Henry twenty-four-seven for two weeks. Madness. Aside from that, it was very nice. We got to visit with family, Henry got a bike and a ton of Legos, Ben got a long reprieve from work, and I read a pile of books. Now a cold front has moved in and I've spent the greater part of the week inside where it's warm.
The start of 2010 has been interesting. Henry's been a real terror, both at church and school. His Sunday school teacher put it best: he has no impulse control. I had to teach the Sharing Time lesson in Primary, so somebody sent Henry to hang out with his dad; unfortunately Ben was teaching the priesthood lesson at the time. I think we all went home a little cranky that day.
Then Monday I got a phone call from Henry's teacher. Apparently during math time Henry decided to make a pest of himself and run around annoying kids. I took a moment to tell him to knock it off and let him know he was in trouble. His teacher attributed his behavior to re-acclimating himself to school after the long break. So I grounded Henry from games and sugar and informed him that if he behaved the next day I'd lift the ban on treats. Oh, the humanity.
I was feeling optimistic until I got another phone call the very next day at the exact same time. Henry was bothering kids during math time. I talked to him again, ordered him to obey his teacher and warned him he was in trouble again. His teacher was at a loss. So was I. In all her years of teaching little kids she'd never seen anything like Henry. He'd been pestering one of his friends while she was trying to count something or another, but she was very patiently coping with him, so Henry wasn't getting any kind of reward for being silly. After I hung up I got the impression that the remedy for Henry's behavior was a good old-fashioned smack on the arse. No treats, no games, and a spanking followed by a long talk.
We'll see how well that worked. I still have a few more hours until math time.
3 comments:
I've been starting to wonder if Charlie's excessive movie watching is contributing to his aggressive behavior... 2 years old, and already a movie addict. And he spends his late nights on Daddy's lap watching documentaries and who knows what violence. Why can't my child go to sleep at a normal hour?
Sorry for your pain with all the behavior troubles. Parenting is hard! You'll have to let us know how it turns out.
Yay! An update! I love reading your blog. :) Melissa has been acting out in school too, which is sad since she is one of my two students! Good luck!
I think boys will be violent no matter what, and their daddies will give them all the help they need.
also, the prospect of homeschooling henry is what helps me maintain such optimistic faith in our public school system.
;)
Post a Comment