Sunday, August 9, 2009

Ten Years

This past weekend Ben and I celebrated our anniversary. We were married ten years ago in the Washington, D.C. temple. No, writing that didn't make me feel old. But realizing that I was sealed there with my parents and sisters almost twenty nine years ago sure does. So Ben and I decided it was time to head back up to D.C. and check things out, seeing how it's been a few years. We made it a family thing, brought Henry along and drove up with my parents. Henry's main ambition was to ride on the metro. He's a huge fan of trains and was thrilled at the idea of a train that goes underground. Thursday we spent the morning driving up there and stopped by the temple visitor center to stretch our legs and show Henry around. It's just as beautiful as I remembered.


After we checked into our hotel we went for a walk and Henry insisted on seeing the metro, so we walked down and let him look around. Satisfied that he'd definitely get to ride it a lot the next day, we went back up and went for a walk and dinner.

The next morning we took the metro to Union Station and Henry loved the heck out of that. After breakfast we toured the mall and most of the museums.


Henry especially liked the armor exhibit at one of the art galleries (can't remember which one it was).


Henry also liked it when we stopped to rest a bit.


He also liked helping his mom burn off some blubber.


We walked from the capitol building to the Lincoln memorial. Instead of turning back around we decided to ride the metro back from the stop at Arlington, so we walked across the bridge to get there. Were were all very tired at this point.

I pointed to the big white house on the hill in the distance and asked Henry if he wanted to walk up and see it.

"No!"


We had a nice long ride back to the hotel and Henry got to hang out with Grandma and Papaw while Ben and I went back to the temple. It was very nice. Ben even got all romantic and stuff and took me to where he slipped my wedding band on my finger those many years before. Then we had a nice romantic dinner at Burger King because everywhere else was closed. Yeah, who am I kidding? This is Ben we're talking about; he's lucky I'm the kind of person who couldn't care less about fancy dining. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we were made for each other.

The next day we parted ways with Mom and Dad so they could visit the Holocaust museum, and Ben and I took Henry to the National Zoo. It's not as big or long a walk as our zoo in Asheboro, but after all the walking we did the day before, we were pretty much tired before we even started. But it was fun. Somehow after complaining about being too tired to walk, Henry miraculously recovered enough energy to run amok in the Think Tank building. Then to his infinite joy we ate at McDonalds and then rode the metro again. The kid loves the metro.


We paid one last visit to the temple before heading home.


Tomorrow I'm driving to the park.

3 comments:

ALYN said...

1. I didn't see any blubber!
2. Love the family pic at the Christus: what a good looking family.
3. I'm picturing your parents in civil war clothes.
4. Congrats on the 10 years! I think we've discussed that our anniversaries are very close together. We hit 10 years August 7th.
5. Is Henry starting school yet?

Hope you're doing great!

Keep-N-Touch said...

What a great trip! We love going to D.C. and your trip up there sounds almost identical to the ones we take! Happy Anniversary!

Sophie Tsai said...

I love it!Can't believe it has been ten years for you getting married with Ben.I still remember the time that you got letters from Ben on your mission.Time just goes by fast!Love Ya!
Sophie