For years now there's been a Star Wars Edition Monopoly set collecting dust on the shelf in the guest room closet. I think my sister bought it at least a decade ago and gave it to me maybe six years ago because she never used it. Guess what? We never used it either. Yesterday Henry noticed it for the first time and asked to play. I had to read the rule book because it's been probably twenty years since I last played Monopoly, and I'm not sure I even knew the rules then. Basically since Henry's only five and doesn't have a firm grasp on money and consequences, I had to do everything for him except roll the dice and advance his little Luke/Darth Vader/Emperor (He kept changing his mind about which one he wanted). We played for about an hour during which time Henry thoroughly trounced my butt. Finally I called an end to the game because I was sick of playing (losing). This morning before book club met at our house we played again for about an hour, and yes, Henry schooled me again. Then he wanted to play again this afternoon. We played for two hours. I landed in jail at least four times. I went straight to the $200 tax square three separate times after passing Go. Henry finally got a spaceport on Lars' Homestead and wouldn't you know it, I landed on that freaking spot twice, completely cleaning me out.
At least Henry had fun. Die, Monopoly, die!
3 comments:
that's hilarious! the funny thing is i can totally picture living through this. as a side note, if it wasn't for you i don't think i would have ever been interested in star wars at all. it's one of my favorite movie series now, and every time i watch it i have to think back on that halloween at temple square when you dressed up as yoda, wasn't it? ;)
i'm glad that i can be a positive force for good in the universe. :)
I also hate that game! Several years ago my husband was playing with my brother and cousing, both under the age of 12, and he was beating them miserably... at the end, when he had EVERYONE'S money they asked him what he did to help him win. He said, "I payed my tithing." They remembered that and both claim it was their first spark of a testimony for paying tithing!
Post a Comment