The other day I took Henry to the movies. I decided to do this knowing full well from previous experience that it wasn't going to be 100% fun making Henry stay in his seat, prevent him from running all over the theater, and keep him from bolting at the end and getting lost in a crowd of a hundred kids. Well, the movie was an older one but it was free, so I figured why not. Seeing how the theater lures people in with the free movie so they can make money on their overpriced candy and popcorn, I felt like I should be a jerk and not get anything, but Henry, having been to the movies with his grandmother recently, ran right up to the concession stand so I caved and bought some popcorn and raisinettes. I ordered a cup of water, because we all know what happens to Henry when a little soda is added. The chick asked me if I wanted a bottled water and I said no, tap water in a cup could be fine. Who wants to pay for freaking water? So we met up with our friends and I secretly was hoping that they'd want to see Wallace and Gromit because I've seen it already and can stomach it, crossed my fingers that they'd already seen Alvin and the Chipmunks, because having seen one scene from that movie in a McDonalds made me want to puke. So we end up going to Alvin and the Chipmunks. Yeah. I didn't complain too much, I was mostly busy keeping Henry in his seat and making him sit back down, stop bothering the people in front of us, stop sitting next to the teenager at the end of the row, find his missing shoe ("Mom, my shoe is missing! Mom, my shoe is missing! My sock is getting sticky!"), retrieve his cup of water from underneath the seat, grab him and make him sit in my lap, all while trying desperately not to scream "This movie sucks!" at the top of my lungs. Then to my immense relief the screen faded to black.
I turned to my friend, "Oh, man, I didn't think I was going to make it." And then another scene comes on and there was a few more minutes of annoying chipmunk agonies to endure.
It was kind of funny when Henry yelled at the top of his lungs about six times, "That girl looks like a hippy!" And his loud obnoxious laugh whenever anyone got smacked in the head or a chipmunk farted. So I guess torture can have its moments. And yes, I'd probably do it again, just to see him have a good time, even at my expense.
Then when we got home Henry found the receipt in my pocket and I glanced at it when I took it away from him and noticed that the concession stand chick had charged me a dollar for a freaking paper cup of water.
"That (insert biblical swear here)!" Whoops, I guess I shouldn't have let that one slip out. Henry laughed and repeated it like five times. I apologized and explained that I shouldn't say stuff like that even though I was angry. A dollar for a paper cup of tap water...
Next time we go to the free movies I'm smuggling in my own snacks.
1 comment:
You crack me up! I haven't been around in the blogging world for over a month and I missed your sarcasm.
A DOLLAR for water! That $%&*$&! hahaha you better go wash that mouth out with soap!
Post a Comment